- What laws support my child’s education? What rights do I have as a parent?
- My school says this in response to my question about reading scores. What do I do next?
- What is the Communication Plan, and what should I know about it?
- I don’t understand what my child might be eligible for in preschool (or middle school, or high school) and don’t know who to ask.
- I need to learn the difference between an IEP and a 504 Plan. Help!
- What about education during COVID-19?
Navigating the school system related to a child’s learning needs can be a huge learning curve. That’s where our ASTra Program comes in to help. ASTra stands for the Advocacy Support and Training Program, created by Hands & Voices as a formal and systematic way to educate parents and professionals who want to assist other families with these kinds of questions.
Where can you learn more about educational advocacy?
Ask for an ASTra advocate by completing an advocacy request form. We will have our team reach out to you within 1-2 business days.
Just want to research? Check out the many resources, including the NEW Second Edition of Educational Advocacy: The Hands & Voices Guidebook, on the Hands & Voices HQ site at www.handsandvoices.org/astra/index.html
Here are a few of our favorite resources:
- IEP Meeting Planner
- IEP/504 Checklist
- Communication Plan
- Intro to the IEP for new parents
Intro to IEP CO ASTra.pdf
- Functional Listening Evaluation
- General Provisions of IDEA Part C and B* (Appendix B from Astra Guidebook pg 163)
- FAQ’s on Effective Communication for Students with Hearing, Vision, or Speech Disabilities in Public Elementary and Secondary Education
Download the official FAQ’s in pdf form
- Transition from High School Learning Module:
Hands & Voices Post-Secondary Transition On-Line Module for Parents and Their Teens
- Transition Resources (ages 16 – 21) NEW!
Accommodation ideas, scholarships, employers, career exploration, and more.
- Resources for COVID-19: Legal Information, Supporting Remote Learning, Access
We Are Strong We Are Community – Hands & Voices Information
- Game Changer: Will Policy Clarification Level the Playing Field?
(This article is about the November 2014 release of the U.S. Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Education policy guidance titled, Frequently Asked Questions on Effective Communication for Students with Hearing, Vision, or Speech Disabilities in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools )
- 10 Mistakes Parents of D/HH Kids Make in Preparing for their I.E.P.
- A Family’s Story: High School IEPs for the Weary Mom