This grant-funded program ended on March 31, 2020. We look forward to partnering with the EHDI Alliance in creating a new Deaf/Hard of hearing adult role model program under the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind. Thank you to all of our past Partners for connecting with families, professionals, and especially the kids who are deaf and hard of hearing since 2014!
We worked with some amazing adults who shared generously from their own lived experience to:
- Give proactive and positive support to families and kids who are Deaf/hard of hearing one-on-one, and at our events, panels and workshops like Moms’ Nite Inn or conferences on the transition from high school
- Shared their insights into the experience of being deaf or hard of hearing for school and community programs, and occasionally joined an IEP or 504 team discussion to highlight access and the Deaf Child’s Bill of Rights related needs
- Answered questions as wide-ranging as “how do you know when your baby is crying?” to “have you ever faced discrimination?”
- Gave parents and kids a “glimpse into the future” for themselves: different professional roles, choices about equipment and sign language, recreational pursuits, and a vision far beyond the limits of the educational/medical arenas of deafness.
- Discussed their own changing approach to communication, language and identity, and how they choose to advocate for themselves in relationships, work, and the community
Our Partner Project offered an orientation to new Partners-in-training where they learned more about today’s parent journey, giving and getting feedback on how to share their own story, and learning how to support our motto “What works for your child is what makes the choice right” when interacting with families.
Thank you to Carmela Roybal, Partner Project Coordinator, for her many years of service in this part-time position. While we can count the number of families impacted, it is much harder to quantify the sense of hope and joy we saw in parents.